Sunday, April 20, 2014

Readysetgo


Narrator: Tyler, you are by far the most interesting single-serving friend I've ever met... see I have this thing: everything on a plane is single-serving...
Tyler Durden: Oh I get it, it's very clever.
Narrator: Thank you.
Tyler Durden: How's that working out for you?
Narrator: What?
Tyler Durden: Being clever.
Narrator: Great.
Tyler Durden: Keep it up then... Right up.
[Gets up to leave]

One last pre-race post, but zero more deep thoughts. As I mentioned previously, I usually go into races without a plan, or a plan that's so conservative that I throw it out the window after the first half mile. So I'm going the other way this time. The target is 3 hrs. That's 6:52/mi.

(Stealing a gimmick from Simmons here...)

What I'll tell myself if I make it? That half marathon back in February was a good leading indicator. I trained strong, and I was injury free. Weather was a tad warm, but otherwise perfect. I ran pretty close to that pace for 20 miles just three weeks ago, with no taper. The crowd totally carried me the last six (or 26) miles. Racing flats rule.

What I'll tell myself if I don't make it? It was crazy to think that I could run 3 hrs my first marathon, especially Boston. I knew it was going to be crowded at the start, but not that crowded. I knew those hills were going to eat back a few precious minutes. Everyone warned me about those last six miles. People joke that it's the last 0.2 that gets you, but in this case it was true.

Anyways, bib #29458. And I'm in the fourth wave, so I don't start until 11:25am. You can sign up here if you want to follow along via email / text alerts. Nervous? Of course. But I will say this: When I started out back in December, I didn't even dream of coming close to raising $10k for Team Brookline. But the final total: $10,026. You guys did your part, now it's time to do mine.





1 comment:

  1. Awesome! Go for the 3hr. run. I have a few bucks for the cause as well. Be well go strong!

    ReplyDelete